Recycling saves substantial amounts of energy compared with producing material from
virgin raw materials. This means large gains for the environment!
SOME EXAMPLES OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL BENEFITS OF RECYCLING:
- Our recycling of one Freon-containing refrigerator saves of 2 tonnes/kilograms of carbon dioxide emissions.
- Each year, the waste oil that we recycle is equivalent to a 50 km long tanker truck caravan, loaded with crude oil.
- Our paper recycling conserves 14 million trees, enough for five billion paperbacks.
- The ferrous scrap that we recycle is enough to manufacture 236 million bicycles. That’s a bicycle for one in three Europeans.
- Every kilo of plastic that we recycle saves the use of one kilogram of oil.
- Every kilo of copper that we recycle reduces carbon dioxide emissions by 20 kilos, in comparison to using virgin raw materials.